Translate

Saturday 1 February 2014

Mental Health Nursing: Interviews

Hi guys!

So as I'm hoping to study mental health nursing come September I thought I would ask a couple of other hopefuls about their experience with applying for nursing courses and why they wanted to do nursing.

Image from Google.

Tim's experience.
Mental Health Nursing

Why did you choose to study mental health nursing?

I had thought about going into MH nursing for several years after experiencing bouts of depression since 17 years old although I did not know it was depression. When I left school I took a gap year and just before returning to the UK my girlfriend (in China) told me she was pregnant and having an abortion. This set me in a downward spiral of depression, drinking and self harm. I failed my first year in uni and started work but also got better.
I started studying arts and social science modules with the Open University while working full time (not in a healthcare role) and was happy with life in general.
Two years ago (I don't really know the reason why...money, over working?) I started to slide back into depression. To hide from it I worked more (lots of overtime), tried to study more and started to drink very heavily. This was a bad combination and resulted in losing my job and a stay in a psychiatric unit after several suicide attempts and then leaving A&E.

What experience do/did you have prior to your course/job?

As soon as I found out I had lost my job I decided that I was going to use the opportunity to do what I had wanted for 8 years and apply to uni. I found the application process straightforward having been through UCAS before but the additional waits for DBS checks added some extra frustration as I had a caution from 10 years ago and a recent arrest (no charge or conviction though) but thankfully these were not an issue (as they do not show any more on the enhanced disclosure).

How have you found the whole uni process in applying for mental health nursing?

 I only applied to one University (Cardiff) and got made an offer. I have no experience working in care as I have worked previously as an ESL teacher, retail management and a call centre. My study with the OU was evidence of recent study so I did not need to do an access course.
I found the numeracy tests easy (a bit patronising in fact - and mean no offence to anyone who found the difficult). The interview was like other interviews and I do not tend to stress about such things before hand as I had no idea what questions they would ask. I made sure I was aware of the NMC code and recent healthcare stories (Mid-Staffs, Ian Huntleys MH Tribunal, budget cuts - all were in the news when I had my interview).

What makes you feel that you are suited for the role?

I think I am suited to the role as I, like many others, have experience of mental ill-health. My previous jobs have all involved speaking with people and being organised. I am a parent and all skills learned from parenting are transferable to nursing.

Stephen's experience
Adult Nursing


What kind of nursing is it your doing?
I hope to be doing Adult nursing at BCU out of my 4 choices I used it's the one I have had my heart set on, Even back when I worked with your mum and it was UCE I've wanted to go there. I'm lucky to have an interview on Feb 27th I'm so happy but bricking it in equal amounts lol
I feel that unlike some candidates that have their careers mapped out already I know that my training will shape and develop me as a nurse and which direction I'd like to go. I do have an interest in the emergency areas of medicine and I feel that Adult nursing will draw upon my skills and expand them allowing me to go in any direction once I become qualified.
Meds can be rough the best one I have used is Sertraline it doesn't effect me too bad other than I yawn a lot. I believe it has helped me loads.


Why did you choose to study Adult nursing?
I'd always wanted to train as a nurse since I worked with your mum as a HCA, In fact it was people like your mum, Debbie and Karen that used to encourage me to go for it. Sadly I didn't get the chance to do my NVQ's as I lost my job as my life started to collapse around me due to financial reasons paired with my mental health issues which I wasn't even aware of at the time I spent a time going from job to job and a brief period of homelessness. It was tough but I'm glad to say I was fortunate to turn things around.
What makes you feel that you are suited for the role?
I've always felt that as a HCA my open and upfront personality was a bonus to the role but I always wanted to have more of an understanding of the conditions I was assisting in the care of. I believe my struggles with my mental health bring an extra dimension to my abilities to care as it lets me sympathise and empathise with the patient and I'm more aware of the correct way to approach a situation with a patient that would have mental health issues.
What experience do/did you have prior to your course/job?
I have almost a decade of experience in healthcare in both NHS hospitals and private residential care and other jobs such as bar work and at times self employed as a drag queen and also a cake maker and decorator. These jobs let me utilise skills that in nursing are invaluable, such as planning and accuracy in cake making and personal skills in bar-tending and doing drag. Building relationships quickly is essential to getting tips lol.
How have you found the whole uni process in applying for nursing?
I've found it quite stressful at times the rejection can be hard as it is demotivating especially when on an access course like me sometimes I think "why am I putting myself through this?" I wish there wasn't so much waiting though. That's the pain.

These, well, interviews/Q&A's have actually made me feel a lot better about my experience thus far. My previous big panic attack happened because I started to worry about how my mental illness would effect my chances at getting a uni place, so hearing that others have been through similar situations to mine regarding illness settles my worries immensely!
The university applications, interviews and tests for nursing can be extremely stressful but it's nice to know that there is that light at the end of the tunnel and that the will to succeed can drive you no matter what your situation is.
I hope that anyone that reads this that may have or does feel like I did can take some comfort from this post and realise that no matter what, you should not let your illness hold you back! It can be hard but you will get through just like Tim and Stephen have.
& maybe I will. I'll keep you posted.
Stay safe,
Paige
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment